Climate & Apparel
The climate of Korea is characterized by four distinct seasons: spring, summer, fall, and winter. The average temperature in July, which is in the early-summer, ranges from 25 to 30 degrees Celsius. Short-sleeve shirts are adequate during the day. Sunglasses and hats are recommended for protection from ultra-violet rays.
The standard time zone of Korea is GMT +9 hours.
*New York: - 13 Hours
*Bangkok: - 2 Hours
*London: - 8 Hours
*Tokyo: No Time Difference
Value-Added Tax (VAT) is levied on most goods and services at a standard rate of 10% and is included in the retail price. In tourist hotels, this 10% tax applies to rooms, meals and other services and is included in the bill. Any product with this "Tax Free Shopping" sign will allow you to get a refund on VAT. You must depart the Republic of Korea within 3 months of the purchase.
The basic currency of Korea is the Won (KRW). Foreign currency and traveler's checks can be converted into the Korean won at most banks and other authorized moneychangers. The exchange rate is subject to market fluctuations and is trading at approximately 1,150 Korean won (KRW) per US dollar as of April 2010.
*0.5L mineral water: 600 won
*Starbucks Coffee (Americano, tall): 3,700 won
*BigMac Combo Mcdonald’s: 4,900 won
*Bus and Subway Fare: 1000 won
Government office hours are usually from 09:00 to 18:00 on weekdays and closed on weekends. Banks are open from 09:00 to 16:00 on weekdays and closed on Saturdays and Sundays. Most shops are open from 10:00 to 22:00 through the entire week.
ATM (Automated Teller Machines)
Travelers who carry internationally recognized credit cards can get a cash advance in Korean won from Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) installed at airports, major hotels, department stores, subway stations, major tourist attractions and most convenience stores.
220 volts and 60 cycle outlets are used in Korea. Check the power supply before using your equipment.
Mobile Phone Rental
You may rent a mobile phone at Incheon or Gimpo International Airport. Users can rent a phone and pay rental and call charges upon returning the phone. Applicants are requested to present identification, credit card, and a service contract (available at the booth). Roaming Center booths are conveniently located on the passenger terminal of the Incheon International Airport (between Gate 5 and Gate 6, Gate 9 and Gate 10), and on the first floor of the Gimpo Airport.
- Korea Tourism Organization (KTO): http://english.tour2korea.com
- Cultural Heritage Administration: http://english.cha.go.kr
- Korean Information Service: http:// www.korea.net
- Information about Seoul: http://english.seoul.go.kr
- Information about Daejeon: http://tour.daejeon.go.kr/english
- Build a shared vision to support sustained economic growth in Asia, while drawing lessons from the past in a candid and constructive manner;
- Showcase Asia’s success in economic management, and highlight lessons for other regions;
- Examine Asia’s growth model, its prospects going forward, and the implications of change for the global economy;
- Discuss Asia’s role in the international community, including the IMF, in this process.
Conference Brochure: PDF